Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A scallops and spots celebration

Oh me, oh my! An email from the team at Amy Atlas. What a wonderful surprise to have while away on holidays in the Greek Islands. Another of my dessert tables was to be featured on the Sweet Designs blog. Incredible!



I’ve been a little delayed in posting about this as my baby girl suffered the most horrendous jetlag … I guess that’s what you get for carting a seven-month-old and an almost three-year-old on a 30-hour trek across the world.

So … the week before we headed over to enjoy the European summer, I styled a ‘scallops and spots’ dessert table for Tahlia’s christening.

It was held at a Greek tavern, as my husband and his family are Greek, so there were already plenty of amazing traditional Greek sweets but I wanted to host a little dessert table to say thank you to our guests for helping celebrate her special day.

I chose a peach and raspberry colour scheme – as I fell in love with the colour peach while pregnant – accented with scalloped edges and spots.


The dessert table featured:


Vanilla shortbreads with monogram ‘T’ toppers

Passionfruit curd babycakes with passionfruit frosting

Dark chocolate, orange and almond chocolate bars


Chocolate covered Oreos designed to coordinate with the spotted papers


Orange rock candy swizzle sticks


Orange candy-coated sugared almonds

An assortment of orange and raspberry cream-filled chocolates



The other features of the table included:

A paper bauble and crystal garland

Scalloped edge cupcake stand created from papier mache hat boxes

Scalloped edge vessel stands

and fresh tulips

As a thank-you, guests were given favour bags containing the vanilla shortbreads, chocolate bars and the traditional five sugared almonds as bonbonniere.


The cupcake stands were crafted based on the ones featured in Amy Atlas’ Valentine’s Day table I crafted them from papier mache hat boxes and covered them in matching spotted paper with a scalloped edge.

The garland was made based on the tutorial found here.

This table shows that even if you don’t have expensive vessels and cake stands at home, with a bit of time, effort and craftiness you can present a lovely dessert table.



Once again, thank-you Amy Atlas, I was absolutely thrilled to have had this table featured on your blog.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about the party, please join me on my Facebook Page, I would love to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment